Hyundai 12 Common Problems
Hyundai, a South Korean automotive brand, has gained recognition for producing reasonably priced vehicles. As a reputable brand that has been in existence since the 1980s, they have established themselves in the industry.
However, some of their vehicles have experienced problems, ranging from fires caused by short-circuited ABS modules, defective airbags and sensors to transmission issues.
Gear Shift and Light Problems (Hyundai Sonata)
The Hyundai Sonata has received numerous complaints, with issues related to engine failure and shifting gears in older models and defective lights in the 2003-2015 models. The 2011 model, one of its best sellers, has a higher number of complaints.
Other problems include XM satellite antennas and electrical faults. The 2010 Sonata model had only two recalls, which is commendable and the 2022 Sonata is considered reliable, with only a problem in the fuel pipe.
Airbag and Seat Belt Problems (Hyundai Elantra)
Older models of the Hyundai Elantra have issues with airbag deployment and the airbag warning light, and there were complaints about engine seizure in 2013. There is also the potential for an electrical short in the ABS module, which can cause a fire.
The 2022 Elantra model has a clean record, but there are some issues, such as an inability to accelerate and problems with lane assist technology. The model was also recalled once for a seatbelt pretension issue, which could cause an explosion in the event of a collision.
The 2017 Santa Fe has known issues with its transmission, and there are complaints about defective speakers in various models. Drivers of the 2014 model also reported engine stalling, and the 2022 model was recalled due to a cracked oil supply pipe. Despite the Santa Fe model being rated as reliable, there are complaints about its electrical system and other minor issues.
Hyundai cars are known for having transmission issues.
1. Low transmission fluid level: Once your Hyundai vehicle reaches 100,000 miles, you may experience delayed shifting, shifting at high RPMs and hard shifts. These problems are usually caused by a low level of transmission fluid, which can be fixed by adding more fluid.
2. Clogged transmission filter: Metal shavings, broken internal components and clutch material can clog the transmission fluid filter, causing issues such as erratic shifting and slipping gears. If this happens, you may need to replace the transmission as changing the filter will not resolve the issue.
3. Faulty transmission range switch: This problem can cause the selector to rust and prevent the gear from being in the Park mode. Older models such as the Santa Fe, Genesis, Sonata and Veloster are susceptible to this problem with the 2001-2006 Elantra and the 2005-2009 Tucson being the most affected.
4. Input and output sensor: When one of these sensors is faulty, it can cause erratic shifting and trigger the check engine warning light. It can also affect the vehicle’s speed and limit it to 45 mph.
5. Brake light switch: This switch inhibits the shifter’s movement and prevents it from reverting to the Park mode. It can also cause intermittent starting problems.
6. PCM and TCM Issues: Inconsistent shifting can be caused by problems with the transmission software and powertrain, especially during cold weather. Models such as the Santa Fe, Sonata, Elantra and Veloster are the most affected by this problem.
In summary, if you are experiencing transmission issues in your Hyundai car, check the transmission fluid level, replace the filter if necessary, inspect the transmission range switch, input and output sensors, brake light switch and address any software or powertrain issues.
Exterior Components Breaking
Although Hyundai has claimed that it invests modestly in the interior and exterior components of its vehicles, there are still reports of external parts breaking on some models. Drivers have complained about mirrors and door handles breaking off and expressed concerns about the lack of quality in the plastic molding and adjoining parts.
Electrical and Accelerator Pedal Problems
The 2011 Sonata model has a notorious reputation for causing drivers sleepless nights. It is plagued by electrical issues and rough idling due to a defective EGR switch valve. Other problems include engine seizure, failure of airbag deployment and accelerator pedal issues, with some drivers experiencing issues with parking lights failing to switch off.
Airbag and Wiring Issues
Older models of the Hyundai Accent are known to have problems with airbags, soy-based wiring systems that attract rodents and faulty transmission systems. As a result, Hyundai has faced lawsuits related to the wiring system problems. However, the 2022 Accent model has not been recalled for any safety issues.
Acceleration, Collision Avoidance, and Transmission Problems (Hyundai Tucson)
Although the Hyundai Tucson provides a comfortable driving experience, there are complaints about acceleration, collision avoidance and blind spot warning systems in the 2016-2019 models. The 2022 Tucson model has been recalled once for software installation in the integrated central control unit. The Hyundai Tucson is a popular SUV model.
Poor Paint Quality
The Hyundai brand has come under heavy criticism for the poor quality of its paint, with many models experiencing fading and peeling within the first few years. Unfortunately, the warranty policy does not cover these painting issues and many customers have complained about the paint quality within the first five years of purchasing their vehicles.
Crash Sensor Issues
Hyundai had to recall the 2011-2013 Sonata models due to issues with the crash sensor and faulty airbag control units.
Unreliable Crash Detection
Safety is a crucial factor when considering a vehicle purchase, unfortunately, Hyundai has struggled in this area. Despite improvements in airbag technology, Hyundai has yet to resolve the issue of airbags failing to deploy during crashes, causing problems for many drivers. The company has had to recall millions of vehicles due to defective crash detection and it officially acknowledged the issue in 2018 to protect its reputation.
Steering and Handling Problems
Steering and handling problems have plagued the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra models, with drivers experiencing vibrating whenever the car makes a turn and clicking noises from beneath. The 2011 models are particularly problematic and the manufacturer needs to address these safety issues urgently.
If you are having problems with your Hyundai you can get your vehicle checked and any issue diagnosed and resolved by booking online today.
For further information on our services you can browse the site or get in touch with us by calling 019253 30468 or you can email us directly at email@example.com. At Lowton Motor Company we service all vehicles produced by all the top manufacturers from the a Ford to a Porsche and everything in between. Our experienced technicians have access to and traning with all the latest technology. You can be sure your vehicle is in safe hands whether it’s in for a repair, a service or just the annual MOT.
Our Customer Reviews
Book Your Vehicle In Now
Make a provisional booking now and we will be in touch to confirm. Remember we offer Pick UP & Drop Off and Courtesy Car services, so you can continue with your busy day with as little disruption as possible.